[T]oday this two-century-old city presents the picture of a huge industrial beehive built over the staid old seaport and local market center that was once Newark. … The center of it all is the corner of Broad and Market Streets, known for decades as “The Four Corners.” This point has been called the third busiest traffic center in the United States. A traffic control tower stands approximately on the site of the community water pump used in Colonial times when Broad and Market was the village square.
Market Street is the older business thoroughfare. As the shopping center of the city it has kept pace with the growth of the Newark area. It is not so spacious as its rival, Broad Street, but its building line on either side presents a façade of retail shops with variegated window displays, broken by an occasional motion picture theater.
—New Jersey, A Guide To Its Present and Past (WPA, 1939)